Tending to a lawn and garden can get expensive. Between seeds, fertilizer and gardening supplies, costs can be high enough to take the pleasure out of lawn care. Here are seven creative ways to save on landscaping, so you can have your well-tended lawn and your budget, too.
1. Plant perennials. Go green with your garden by choosing plants that flower year after year. You’ll have to pay more out of pocket when you first plant these blooms, but the cost-free plants you’ll have each year will more than make it worth the price.
2. Make your own compost. Mulch and other soil products may keep your garden healthy, but they’re not as kind on your wallet. Save money by going the DIY route with compost. All you need is a designated outdoor bin to collect your old fruit and veggie peels, plant clippings and dead leaves. After a few weeks, you should have a pile of nutrient-rich soil ready to give your garden the boost it needs to grow and glow.
3. Propagate your plants. Grow your garden by helping your plants propagate. You can do this by separating an already growing plant into two and replanting; rooting a leaf or rooting a small stem with leaves. You can propagate new plants in soil or in water. Find out more about propagating here.
4. Choose plants that are natural to your region. For lower-maintenance plants, choose species that grow naturally in your area. You will save on extra watering, soil correction and special plant food.
5. Leave your grass clippings. Looking for an easy and cost-free way to improve your lawn? You already have one! Just leave your grass clippings on the lawn after mowing instead of cleaning them up. The clippings will break down quickly, adding organic matter and nutrients to your grass.
6. Use leftover seeds. Bought too many seeds to plant last year? You can use them this season! Most flower seeds will keep well if stored in a cool and dry place. You can even buy seeds in bulk with plans to save the extra for a more cost-effective purchase. Take advantage of your Benefits Plus® checking account with SeaComm, which entitles you to discounted gift and eGift cards at retailers like Home Depot, Lowes, HomeGoods, and more. Benefits Plus® members also have access to printable coupons and wholesale club savings! Visit your local SeaComm branch to upgrade your checking account, today.
For complete information, terms, conditions and exclusions please visit www.benefits-plus.org or call 866-329-7587.
7. Don’t cut your lawn too short. Shorter grass attracts more weeds and will need more herbicides. Higher grass will shade out those pesky weeds while also developing a deeper root system, thus requiring less watering. Keep your grass at 2- 2 ½ inches for best results.
In the spirit of “going green”, have you considered switching to E-Statements? Receiving your account statements by email is safer, faster, more convenient, and saves paper! First sign-in to your NetTeller™, select E-Statements on the top banner and then follow the online instructions. Once you have completed enrollment, you will receive a confirmation notice. Click here to learn more, or give us a call at (800) 764-0566.