Our service members past and present are the true heroes of our nation. Here is a list of five ways you can show your appreciation for our country’s veterans on Wednesday, November 11!
1. Fly a flag the right way: Veterans Day offers a wonderful opportunity to fly Old Glory. Just make sure you are observing the proper rules for its display this time of year. Read up on all you need to know about flying the flag on the military’s guide to the flag.
2. Send a care package: There are several organizations that will enable you to safely send a care package. Instead of putting the goodies together yourself, you can donate to one of these recognized organizations and they will assemble and send the package for you. You can find a list of these organizations and contact them directly here.
Lots of these funds are 501(c) (3) organizations, which makes your donation eligible for a tax deduction. To find out whether an organization is a qualified charity, check out the IRS’ list of federally recognized organizations.
3. Make a donation: Sometimes, a monetary donation is the best way to show where your true values lie. There are plenty of nonprofit organizations out there that offer a plethora of services to members of the military and gladly accept donations. Look through this list to find the one that’s right for you.
You could also take advantage of your Benefits Plus® membership, and send a discounted gift or eGift card to a Veteran in your life! Click here to learn more about what a Benefits Plus® checking account offers, or stop by your nearest SeaComm branch to enroll.
For complete information, terms, conditions and exclusions please visit www.benefits-plus.org or call 866-329-7587.
4. Bake some cookies: Sometimes, a homemade gesture is the best way to express your gratitude. Whip up a batch of your favorite cookies to share with a service member you know on Veterans Day. You will be showing the veteran how much you appreciate their service in the sweetest way possible.
5. Send a card or email: If you personally know a veteran, take this opportunity to send him or her a postcard or email that recognizes their contributions to the country. This is a free and simple way to show your gratitude!