Halloween can be costly, especially for parents. Things like decorations, candy for trick-or-treaters and creepy attractions can empty your wallet before you know it. Here are some cheap ways to enjoy this fun holiday.
Get spooked at Potsdam Fright Night On Thursday, October 26th at 5:30pm, Downtown Potsdam will come alive with ghosts, witches, and everything spooky. Market Street will be blocked off, and local businesses plan on staying open late, providing activities and treats, and even offering exclusive sales. SeaComm will be joining in on the fun and giving out small treat boxes to all the ghosts and goblins of the night! To learn more, check out the 32nd Annual Potsdam Fright Night Facebook page, or the Potsdam Chamber of Commerce events page.
Make your own Halloween costume. Why break the bank on a costume when you can make one yourself? Check out these 33 DIY Halloween costume ideas you can make now.
Whip up these budget friendly Halloween treats. If you don’t feel like going out, but still want to experience a little Halloween deliciousness, try out these Monster Rice Krispies Treats.
You will need:
Assorted candy eyeballs (you can find at most grocery stores)
1 bag (12oz) of Candy Melts (in your favorite color, or use a variety of colors)
1 (16 pack) of pre-made Rice Krispies Treats, or your preferred homemade recipe
Sprinkles (Green, orange, or purple)
- Line a large sheet pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the candy melts (if using one color, separate it into 3 parts and if using different colors, place about 1/3 of each color) into microwave safe bowl(s).
- Add about 1 teaspoon shortening or vegetable oil if desired (optional, it just makes for smoother/easier application of the chocolate to the krispie treats) to each bowl of chocolate. (I use 1 teaspoon shortening to each 1/3 of chocolate candy melts)
- Microwave (one bowl at a time) of candy melts in bursts of 20 seconds, stirring vigorously in between each burst for 10 seconds.
- Meanwhile, upwrap the krispies treats.
- Once the chocolate is smooth, dip the krispie treats in the melted chocolate and then use a spoon to help spread it over the treat. You want it to be a bit ragged to look more like a monster.
- Working quickly (the melted candy melts harden fast), add candy eyeballs (however you want and whatever size you like) and if desired, colored sprinkles.
- Transfer to the prepared sheet pan and allow for the chocolate to set at room temperature. These are best enjoyed the same day they are made.
Make roasting and eating the seeds part of your Halloween tradition. Once you and your family have carved your pumpkins and crafted your spooky jack-o-lanterns, what are you going to do with all of those pumpkin seeds? Roast them, of course! There are several ways to jazz up your seeds, spicy or tangy, salty or sweet. Whatever your preference, click here for some fool proof ways to enjoy this delicious, healthy, and cheap Halloween snack.
Go for a foliage-hike. We are lucky to live in such a beautiful region of New York – why not go out and enjoy it? There are dozens of hiking trails available in our area, with spectacular views of the mountains and a sea of leaves changing color. Here are a variety of trails waiting to be explored.
Shop for costumes at consignment shops. You can find a variety of children’s costumes at these discount stores, or you can find some extravagant costumes for less at HalloweenCostumes.com, or even the dedicated Halloween page on eBay.
Go for walks or drives to check out neighbors’ Halloween displays and decorations. A simple, free Halloween activity your family will surely enjoy.